> On Jun 9, 2016, at 9:11 AM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a public document and I welcome requests with updates...
>> https://github.com/Lockhead/oneclick/blob/master/draft-herkula-oneclick.txt
>
> Hmmn.  One the one hand, I'm definitely in favor of making it as easy
> as possible for people to make the mail go away.
>
> On the other hand, this particular proposal is a horrible misuse of
> both http GET and of the list-unsubscribe header.  The http specs are
> quite clear that GET is not supposed to change the state on the web
> server.  For that you use POST or PUT.  It is also a bad idea to try
> to redefine the List-Unsubscribe header which has meant the same thing
> for 18 years.
>
> Fortunately, this is not hard to fix.  Let's invent a new header,
> list-unsubscribe-post, which one can use in conjunction with
> list-unsubscribe, e.g.

> This says to do a POST to the URL in the list-unsubscribe, with the
> fields in the list-unsubscribe-post as the data to the POST.  MUAs
> that don't understand the new field can still do a GET to the URL
> which will do whatever it does, probably show you a page with a
> confirmation button that does a POST.
>
> This should be easy to implement, since I've never seen an http
> library that could do GET that can't also do POST, and this avoids
> both the semantic problem of GET, and the unintended unsubs by
> filterware that poke all the URLs just to see what will happen.

+1.

(recycling my comments from the last time this was suggested, in a different
forum)

supported. mailto: links are for non-interactive use, http: links are (almost
always) for interactive use. Any attempt to change that risks causing problems
with a deployed base - it's not a versioned nor extensible protocol. Extending
the behaviour with hidden magic doesn't seem like a clean solution to the
problem, even if the magic "shouldn't" cause any problems with existing code[1].

If there is a requirement from MUA developers for an https-based
non-interactive unsubscribe - and researching whether that's the case and what
their actual requirements are would be the first step - then I'm sure the IETF
would be open to a standard to include that metadata in an email, outside the
RFC 2369 set of headers.

A new RFC, or an extension of RFC 2369 to add a new List-Something header would
make the whole idea cleaner and more robust than imposing structure on the
existing List-Unsubscribe process, and wouldn't have much significant impact on
rollout (as it doesn't change significantly the amount of new code needing to
be deployed at both ends of the protocol to support it).

That also opens up the option of implementing what MUA developers and list
operators can agree on as a useful protocol rather than a single feature wedged
into an existing one. As I'm not a list operator or an MUA developer I don't
have particular things I'd want there, but I can imagine "send me no more mail
like this / remove me from this list", "send me no more mail at all / suppress
me from all lists" and maybe even "send me less mail like this"[2] as some
possibilities.

Cheers,
 Steve

[1] Assuming that ad-hoc clients will strip off URL fragments or that servers
will ignore them if they don't is reasonable in a spec sense, but may be
optimistic when it comes to deployed code.

[2] I like the idea of an MUA with a "meh" button that asks list senders to
send less meh mail, or unsubscribe me if they can't manage that.