If you want to create a digital opt-in, that is transferrable between ESPs et
al, you need:

the digital opt-in to tell you:
- who the recipient is
- what the allowed sender-domain or sender-email address is that you want to
permit sending emails to you (rfc5322-to)
- when the opt-in was created
- how long the opt-in is valid (so that an opt-in can vanish if you don't use
it! Very important.)
- where/how to verify the digital signature

the sender must:
- use DMARC (to also avoid criminals being able to steal the opt-in).

the ESP must be able to
- verify it online (possibly before or during sending an email)
- provide the opt-in with the mail being sent
- refresh it automatically (e.g. be able to request a refresh after sending an
email)
- if a customers leaves; provide the customer with fresh digital opt-in's.

for mail hosting orgs; it must be able to
- integrate it in current mta setups
- have a user-interface to guide this process for the end-user
- be able to work with a mixed-system (mails with and without digital opt-in)

the recipient-domain should/must:
- have some sort of policy to advise that senders may (or must) use digital
opt-in. Useful for changing to such a system.
- tell where/how to verify the digital signature

Met vriendelijke groet,

David Hofstee

Deliverability Management
MailPlus B.V. Netherlands (ESP)