From: mailop [mailto:mailop-boun...@mailop.org] On Behalf Of Dave Warren
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:11 PM
To: mailop@mailop.org
Subject: Re: [mailop] briteverify.com

On 2014-08-19 04:36, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>> On 11 Jul 2014, at 22:57, Dave Warren <da...@hireahit.com> wrote:
>>
>>   And unless it's a big blocklist, they'll play the wounded "We're just
>> trying to reduce spam too!" card.
> They will, but what they’re doing can’t reduce spam. Email sent to an
> undeliverable address isn’t spam, it’s just a waste of network resource for
> everybody.

If email addresses were never reused or recycled, this would be true.
However, when email addresses can be reactivated and re-assigned to a
new user, it only increases the need to drop invalid addresses from lists.

> If the lists that they’re washing are spam lists, then they’re making the
> spam harder to detect. However, they’ll maintain that they have responsible
> commercial clients who are gathering email addresses in some legitimate
> manner, and using them to send consented marketing emails. If they’re right,
> then they aren’t addressing spam, they’re just taking some of the risk (of
> blacklisting) from the senders. But why would they, or their clients be
> blacklisted if they were just sending wanted email?

Indeed. And if senders were doing proper list management, they'd be
removing undeliverable addresses during every run, so this service is
completely unnecessary.

If a list is in that bad a state that it needs to be "cleaned" in this
way, perhaps a full re-opt-in cycle upon import to a new ESP would be
more appropriate since it may well have recipients of addresses that
already went through a reasonable period of deactivation before
re-assignment.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/