On the other hand, we always look for ways to 'tighten' up..
Years ago, we were among the first to reject connections from IP(s) without rDNS/PTR records, and now that is pretty well industry standard.

More and more, if you want to deliver email in today's environments, you have to ensure your email servers are correctly configured.

And we test our rules, by slow adoption, and see where if it generates false positives. On HELO/EHLO, we first started insisting that there was at least one present, then that it was a FQDN, and 'at least' configured, (eg not localhost.localdomain) and not an IP Address, and those rules have been able to evolve into absolute blocking, with virtually no false positives, however insisting on that the HELO matches the PTR etc, which might be recommended best practices by some, still in the real world doesn't work..

However, moving towards RFC is always something we strive for, and often we can introduce them as 'scoring' techniques.. (HELO's being often forged by spammers) until it gets to the point, where the false positive rates are low enough that they can be introduced as policies.

Interestingly, this is the first time in a long time that a false positive was escalated to my attention pertaining to illegal characters in the 'hostname' portion of a HELO/EHLO.

A quick look at some statistics shows that almost every HELO policy hit was related to IP literals in the HELO (typical bot activity) and spammers using the unqualified hostname, (mostly bots)

Will have to ask for some updated numbers to confirm actual counts, but so far see a virtually zero case scenario, that and the fact that it isn't technically correct, means we have reached the point where making it a standard seems logical ;)

Be interesting to see other larger providers statistical numbers on legitimate email servers with non-rfc style HELO