On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 8:38 PM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> So just out of nosiness, when's the last time Something Bad Happened
> in real life due to sending credit card info by e-mail?

One of my buddies does design and consulting of networks for industries
regulated by federal statutes. By refusing certain content at the gateway
it never enters their control so they are not responsible for securing it.
If they can detect the attachment is potentially in the class of "needs to
be securely handled" they can avoid the problems of having sensitive
information left in email where it is not considered securely stored. It is
not just about the transmission over the internet.