One question I'd ask for submission servers, if your expected use case is
mail clients, is whether they even support the concept of partial success.

I don't think any support a real ux for it, but maybe some will keep a
scoreboard of successful recipients and keep retrying the message with the
other ones... But even that seems likely to be a bad user experience.

For submission, I'd probably err on the side of just accepting all of the
rcpt to commands,and then make a judgement at DATA time.  And yes the rfc
doesn't specify any 4xx responses for data, and the submission rfc has even
less information.

If your submission server is not user clients but say input to an esp, and
so more individualized programs wanting more specific info, maybe per rcpt
makes sense.

I'm not in front of our code to take a look at what our code is for this,
though.

Brandon

On Sep 11, 2017 5:30 PM, "Luis E. Muñoz via mailop" <mailop@mailop.org>