Philip Paeps wrote:
On 2018-02-09 20:46:41 (+0100), Brandon Long wrote:
On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 6:13 AM Philip Paeps <phi...@trouble.is> wrote:
On 2018-02-07 17:05:59 (-0800), Michael Peddemors wrote:
Spammers are abusing Google Groups lists of course, and I am sure they are working on it

It would be nice if the Google Groups would "confirm opt-in" like other mailing lists.

Have you ever tried to set up a mailing list for your family or school?

Sure. It seems polite to send people an invitation and ask them if they'd actually like to join the mailing list.

Does your company have mailing lists and require opt-in for them?

I'm self-employed. ;) But customers have mailing lists. These are very different from the "school" or "family" example though.

There are plenty of scenarios where its pretty impractical.

Unfortunately, making things "practical" is also very convenient for spammers.

It would certainly be easier for the abuse team to require opt-in, but then it would be a much less useful tool for a wide variety of use cases that aren't abusive.

Perhaps the default should be confirmed opt-in but allowing unconfirmed subcriptions after list owners jump through several extra hoops to prove they're not spammers? Account aging is probably a good start.

Wouldn't be a better idea to default to confirmed-opt-in and only allow switching that off for approved "good" users? (could be robot policed if done well)

Michelle

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/