On 2018-02-28 02:13:13 (+0545), Brandon Long wrote:
Agreed, we don't drop silently, it'll go to spam moderation, depending on the settings.

This is good to know. Note that as a mere mortal -- even as a mere mortal who is somewhat aware of how email works -- it's impossble to tell the difference.

Looking at our logs, it looks like your server is dual hosted on ipv6 and ipv4, and the likely message you're talking about went to spam because your ipv6 netblock isn't that clean and you're posting from an IPv6 address without any authentication, but the other posts came from the ipv4 address. I think the Received header was a red-herring.

Thanks for checking your logs Brandon!  This is very helpful.

You're posting as an alias in a domain from a server that's not authorized to send mail for that domain and isn't dkim signing for that domain, and posting to a public group in that domain. It's kind of a spammy set of circumstances, but really it's the not great ipv6 address with no auth that does it.

When this particular domain moved to GSuites, we talked (at length) about making sure those of us who run our own mailservers could still use it. Turns out spf and dkim were never actually set up though.

I will chase that down.

Thanks again for helping debug this.

Philip

--