On 4 May 2018 at 11:27, Andrew C Aitchison <and...@aitchison.me.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> If I understand correctly, the GDPR doesn't provide the same protection for
> companies as it does for individuals, so I don't see how it
> can affect role email addresses and registered corporate adddresses;
> those should be able to stay in WHOIS.

Right, but the "Admin/Technical" contacts are named people, and even
their simple Name and surname are data protected by the GDPR.
There are also discussions about "individual businesses" where the
name of the business is the name of the person, so it could be a data
protected by the GDPR.

BTW not every data processing/publication require consent according to
GDPR. There's "legitimate interest" and it may have to be discussed if
publishing that data do harms more than not-publishing it.

This is not trivial, and it will take time to find how GDPR will be
applied as there is an high level of iterpretation in the text. Also
the GDPR is mainly concerned about protection than privacy. Privacy
will be better discussed in the "e-privacy" regulation that should
have been go public together to the GDPR but is still blocked. So we
have an "half-law" with a lot of "will see" stuff... it will take
years to really find the way.

Stefano