On Fri, 25 May 2018 at 13:03, Paul Smith <p...@pscs.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/05/2018 11:22, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 May 2018 at 11:55, Paul Smith <p...@pscs.co.uk> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> If someone sends a message from the UK to someone in the USA, by
>>> definition, we must send that email outside of the EU. When we send the
>>> email, we are sending personal data (eg usually the name/email address
>>> of the sender never mind the content which could be anything (outside
>>> our control)). That causes issues for GDPR.

>> NO, you are not transferring them as processor.

> Why not? We are 'processing' personal data on behalf of the controller.

> "Processor means a natural or legal person, public authority, agency or
other body which processes personal data on behalf of the controller."

> "Processing means any operation or set of operations which is performed
on personal data or on sets of personal data....", including such basic
things as storage and erasure of data. If simply storing data on someone's
behalf is 'processing', then distributing an email certainly is (at the
very least, the data is temporarily stored, and then erased, both of which
are explicitly listed as 'processing')

OK, but there's no problem with transferring data when the controller ask
you to do that.

GDPR - Article 28 - Processor, about the contract between the controller
and the processor (the one your customer is asking you to sign):
"That contract or other legal act shall stipulate, in particular, that the
processor: ....(a) processes the personal data only on documented
instructions from the controller, including with regard to transfers of
personal data to a third country or an international organisation,"

So your DPA/contract will simply tell that you won't transfer data to
another country unless undire direct instructions of the controller, and
the controller sending an email is a direct instruction, IMHO.

That's different than a Processor that by its own decision, decide to use
Amazon SES as "other processor" (sub-processor) for the delivery and by
doing this, move the data to another country (and also adopts a new
processor): both of them have to be notified, and sometimes needs a prior
agreement by the controller.

IANAL,
Stefano