On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 at 14:54, Bill Cole
<mailop-20160...@billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:
> What I actually do not understand is why anyone (like BOTH of these
> senders) is bothering to DKIM-sign mail in ways that CANNOT align for
> DMARC and don't even match any domain in any header other than a
> signature. e.g.:

Providers are actively monitoring/building domain reputation based on
DKIM signatures, even if there is no alignment (alignment is a concept
that doesn't even exists in DKIM.. it is a DMARC stuff).
Some provider sends you FBL only if you DKIM sign emails (and they
don't care about alignment, because it is not a DKIM stuff).

So, one may care about DKIM even if they don't care about DMARC.
Alignment is a DMARC stuff. DMARC is newer than DKIM and DKIM didn't
require alignment for a reason.

If you want GPT or Yahoo FBLs for an email flow sent by SMTP servers
under your control but where you can't control the thousands of
different "From:" used, then you DKIM sign using your own domain and
happily get access to GPT and Yahoo FBLs: isn't this a good reason to
do that? (you are not in the position to refuse sending those emails,
you can only choose to add a signature or not).

In our case our main DKIM-signature for any email sent by our servers
always matches the return-path domain, the HELO and the FCrDNS. It
often doesn't match the MIME From, so it doesn't align.
When we can do it we add a second signature aligned to the From, but
we can't do that for every email.

Domain owner today can use DMARC to enforce alignment, but it is their option.
Receivers can ignore non-aligned DKIM signatures (no one force them to
read them).

If you ignore DMARC there is not so much difference in "transparency"
or "inscrutability" between a