On 2018-09-13 at 16:30 +0300, Vladimir Dubrovin via mailop wrote:
> For opportunistic TLS, there is no difference between certificate signed
> by CA and self-signed certificate (or even unsigned), because
> cerificatate is usually not validated. Certificate validation is useless
> here, because opportunistic TLS falls back to cleartext anyway.
>
> For DANE, again there is no difference, because certificate is pinned
> via DNS.

There are two modes with DANE in SMTP.

Usage 3, the certificate is pinned.  (DANE-EE, End-Entity)
Usage 2, the CA certificate is pinned, and so you need to provide the
trust chain back to the anchored CA.  (DANE-TA, Trust-Anchor)

Whether to use DANE-EE or DANE-TA is a local decision; there are various
opinions online (aren't there always) but really it boils down to how
integrated DNS editing is to your mail-server workflow and whether or
not you want to setup pre-staging of certificates before actually
serving them, then only put them live later.

I like to keep life simple, and to use the certificates as soon as
they're issued; I publish DANE-TA records, using Lets Encrypt anchors.
If there's a LE CA certificate roll which changes the public keys, then
I need to pay attention to the warnings online and update the DNS
records, but otherwise DNS is unchanged when the certificates are
issued.

DANE-TA/SPKI means that if there's another cert reissuance using the
same private/public keypair (as done for Let's Encrypt X1/X2 -> X3/X4)
then I don't need to care.

(RFC 7218 for the terminology)
-Phil