The thing is.. maybe technically savvy users don’t need spam folders. But
having „normies“ in mind, like I’m thinking of my parents or friends who work
in a totally different industry, I’m sure we need spam folders.
Why? Because most people are kind of lazy. They don’t want to move spam away,
even if it’s only one click. They want the provider to do it for them. And if
they can choose from multiple providers (e.g. Google vs. outlook.com
<http://outlook.com/> vs. Yahoo …) they will choose the more convenient option.
(Just think of WhatsApp or messengers in general.. WA was so extremely
successful, because it was the first who’s was really convenient for the users).

And (especially big) providers do whatever the majority of the users want,
because that’s what enables their business.
If you run a server for a couple of users, simply try the approach you’re
suggesting here and wait for the reaction. I’m pretty sure most users won’t be
very happy and ask you to bring back the old behavior.