Hello,

In my work helping companies with email authentication, I sometimes come
across interesting abuse cases. I was just talking with a customer that is
a large manufacturing firm who received a report about a spoofed message
sent from a domain they do not use, which is at DMARC p=reject with an
empty SPF record at hard fail. The message was sent from Zohomail to a
recipient at a small company who uses Carrierzone. The recipient sent
headers to the messaging engineer who is my customer; the sender was able
to use this domain both in the friendly From: field and even in the message
ID sent via the Zohomail servers.

I don't have a lot of familiarity with either provider. Does Zohomail do no
domain validation before relaying messages, or does this indicate a broader
compromise? Does Carrierzone ignore DMARC and SPF? I'm interested to hear
other people's experiences with these providers.

Thanks,

Autumn Tyr-Salvia
tyrsalvia@gmail
atyrsalvia@agari