We run reputations on all of the valid DKIM signatures on the message,
but there may be benefits to having one that matches the header from
the ESP perspective... or maybe not.

It ties the reputation of the message more to the client, which may be
good or bad depending on the client.

If it's only the ESP, then it ties the reputation more to the ESP,
which may be good or bad depending on the ESP.

Of course, having an ESP one (even as additional to the client one)
allows you to get postmaster stats for the ESP iirc, or use our
feedback loop... but having it ties your overall ESP reputation to all
of your messages.

Having both, the one closest matching to the from header domain will
be treated as primary, which may help prefer the client reputation
over the ESP reputation in some cases, or in cases where you're trying
to separate streams (ie, different products under the same domain, or
different ESPs or transactional vs marketing).

They're all signals in the ML soup, of course, and so the weighting
between primary and other changes with the model.  I'm not sure you
can really game things one way or the other, so signing with both
would be my default suggestion... though the ESPs often have more
information on how these things work from their perspective with their
own testing.

For hosting providers, much of the above still applies, though it
still depends on how good your abuse handling is.  I think you have
more chances of abuse being say hijacked accounts or such, so you
might want to keep the clients separated.  If I was a client, I'd want
my own domain to match the header from domain so I could use my
reputation on multiple senders or move providers and keep it.

Also, of course DKIM signing by ESP or hosting provider ties your
reputation together, but so does your IP, network and ASN, so there's
already collective reputation going on... so doing so by DKIM just
makes it clearer and maybe that much closer to the anti-spam world not
relying on IPs so much.

If you're a first party (ie, serving just yourself (or just your
company)), I'd sign with yourself and match.  It's not strictly
necessary, ie if you have multiple domains for your company and only
want to manage one key, that's probably fine up until you consider
DMARC.

Brandon