on Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 10:15:20AM +0100, Claus Assmann via mailop wrote:
> seemingly because it does not like my (self-signed) cert.

We recently ran into this as well, via a longtime list member whose
company decided to switch to mimecast. I just grudgingly disabled TLS
altogether until I can investigate what ridiculous hoops I need to jump
through these days to get a "trusted" CA to issue me a cert (this after
oh, ten years or so of using a self-signed cert) that others will trust
as well.

The only other place I'd run into this is with a server at prolocation
in the Netherlands, which is ironic because they actually host an rbldns
server mirror for enemieslist and have for years. :-/

Of course, the idea that self-signed certs are somehow less valid is
absolutely idiotic on the face of it; encryption doesn't guarantee a
person or entity on the other end is "valid" in any way, regardless of
whether you've filled out some paperwork, and should not be treated as
anything but a way to shill paid services. But there we are.

As for free CAs, they suffer from the same problem as self-signed, maybe
because that's what all certs are at the bottom. I'm not sure if there
are any who would actually work with mimecast, or how a mail server is
supposed to dynamically import a root cert exactly. I'd love to know how
this is resolved, however, if it can be done without paying and renewing
a completely unnecessary cert over and over again for no good reason.

Steve

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
Internet security and antispam hostname intelligence: http://enemieslist.com/