We have considered running dmarc checks on outbound to know if a message
will likely be rejected.  We also considered it for the custom from setting
for Gmail before we decided that dmarc settings could change after setup.

It would make sense for an esp to check the sending configs for a customer
against dmarc and warn the customer about it.  You can't catch forwards and
such, but you can know when the domain requires certain steps.

As to the other part of this thread, blocking dmarc at smtp time is of
course what you should do, but it's not always feasible.  And even if you
do block at smtp time, in forwarding situations you're just making someone
else generate the backscatter... and internal forwarding that might be you
again.

And of course, those bounces going to a mailing list just cause havoc for
some list providers, either greatly increasing bounce processing or if they
don't handle bounces right, unsubscribing a bunch of folks, which is maybe
worse...  Ie, of course we made Google groups handle that correctly and of
course we have ample capacity for bounces, but manu of the rejects Gmail
does aren't to groups especially given groups also munges the header from.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Brandon