On 2020-02-18 at 10:03 +0100, Benoit Panizzon via mailop wrote:
> Hi List
>
> Lately, our customers are getting an increased amount of phishing
> emails, or emails containing malware with legit looking From: headers
> from either banks, or even from our own customer support.

Hello Benoît

I'm sure those are Emotet. Which means that, although the emails with
the attached malware (or linking to it) are using a spoofed From header,
the spoofed user is actually infected.

I have seen postmasters get tricked by this, thinking those are "just
spoofed mails", so let me briefly recap the list on the workings of
Emotet:

Bob (b...@example.com) gets infected with Emotet (e.g. he ran the wrong
attachment)
The malware steals email addresses and also existing mails from the
Inbox, sending them to the C&C. Expect to see second stage mechanism
such as trickbot installed in the compromised machine for further
mischief (which could then later lead to a Ryuk infection, or otherwise
being sold to someone else).

Then, the contacts from Bob will start receiving spoofed emails with malware,
such as:
> From: Bob <johndoe123...@compromised.edu.ko>

Initially they included the original email in the From field, such as
From: "Bob <b...@example.com>" <johndoe123...@compromised.edu.ko>

but seemingly that was too easy to spot for mail filters, so Emotet
authors have now dropped that bit.

The stolen emails may be used to lure those contacts even more. They
receive an email with a From: saying "Bob", but also in reply to one of
their mails (Re: <subject>, plus including their message below), with a
few lines added leading to the malicious file.

They also have campaigns sent as completely new mails. They have used
some very good hooks suited to the season (Chrismas parties, tax
returns, Greta Thumberg demonstrations, the coronavirus...).

The infection method they use are generally the typical Office document
begging you to disable protected mode so that it can execute their
malicious macro and run some evil powershell.

Those are delivered in two ways: as direct attachments and as a url link
that directly trigger a download of the document from a compromised web
page (such as vulnerable wordpress sites).

The IOC of the samples are very dynamic, see https://paste.cryptolaemus.com/

Kind regards