> On 4 Jun 2020, at 11:06, Benoît Panizzon via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Gang
>
> Tanks for the various feedback, learning a log :-) I found one issue
> caused by domain alignment in DMARC.
>
> We use two domains:
>
> imp.ch (our company)
> breitband.ch (our service brand)
>
> Our Support Case System (RT/3) uses a global configured envelope sender:
> <supp...@imp.ch> but depending on the Queue, a different Header From:
> supp...@breitband.ch
>
> Did I get this right? This is not possible anymore when a DMARC
> entry is published?

It is possible, if you are signing with a DKIM d= of the domain in the
5321.from address.

> The envelope sender domain and From: domain MUST be
> aligned and in the case of 'strict' match, be identical and for
> 'relaxed' match may contain a subdomain?

If you are relying solely on SPF authentication for DMARC then the 5321.from
and the 5322.from need to be in the same domain. If you have a strict match
designated in your DMARC record then the domains must match exactly.

> There is now way to have different envelope and from domains?

You can have, and many senders do, have different envelope and from domains. In
this case they’re either not authenticating the 5322.from with DMARC or they
are relying on DKIM alignment for DMARC.

> I guess many ESP sending newsletters do the same, put their bounce
> processor in the envelope from and a customer supplied From: Address
> into the header.

There are different approaches ESPs use. But DMARC authentication can happen
with DKIM *or* SPF passing and aligning. Many ESPs also have the customer use
their own domain in the 5321.from, and then point that at their bounce
handlers.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741