On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 at 11:33, Laurent S. via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
> Which ESP does 100% (double/confirmed) opt in?
>
> I am looking for an ESP that will, in every case, send a confirmation
> link without ever trusting their clients about the consent status of
> lists they import?

AFAIK no one.
You can find ESPs that are forcing confirmed opt-in for emails
collected using their forms (instead of allowing or defaulting to
single opt-in).
Some of them don't even require "consensus based mailings": many of
them require consent in their ToS but they trust the customer unless
they have something to not believe him.

> I am aware this means some recipients might never click the link and get
> another 2nd mail. I am also aware this doesn't block every abuse, as
> Laura mentioned (I've seen those too):

I'm not sure this would be a great idea as sending a "massive
single-opt in request" is anyway a massive email.
An opt-in request email should be sent only when the user just
compiled the form.

So, you have 3 kinds of lists:
1) spam lists: the ESP would send the opt-in email to all of them and
this would be spam anyway.
2) single-opt-in-lists: the ESP would send a massive email (the
confirmation request) and for some of them this will be spam for some
other ignoring the message this will mean stopping receiving something
they asked to receive)
3) confirmed opt-in lists: like #2 but only the bad parts.

IMHO
- if an ESP has a way to understand the customer will do spam then
they should not send anything, not even a reconfirm email.
- otherwise once they send their first email the ESP will collect some
data and usually detect a spammer sender better than sending a
reconfirm email.

If every ESP requested a reconfirmation email customers would be stuck
in their ESP and every ESP could increase prices 10x as customers will
never accept to reconfirm their whole already confirmed lists just
because they don't want to accept their new ESP prices. Spammers,
instead, would happily load their scraped/purchased lists to every
ESP, running a subscription bombing to their lists and using each ESP
against the parts that confirmed the opt-in on that specific sender.

Furthermore forcing COI is not enough for a real consent-based
mailing: the ESP should also require reconfirmations for every email
that has not been mailed for more than 6-12 months and maybe they
should also require reconfirmation when the sender email changes or
the contents for the messages are changed or the mailing frequence
changes (as consent is not just a "yeah, drop whatever you like in my
mailbox"). One of the worst customers we kicked for spam was in fact
using confirmed opt in but the users were not really asking him to
receive the emails he finally sent them. He did a lot of "win an ipad"
forms and then redirected the users to our COI forms: then he was
sending them car insurance or easy credit access or anything else.
Technically this may be COI, but without a real consent. So COI would
not solve ESP issues anyway. So if you think that enforcing COI will
give you a better reputation ESP then I'd reconsider this.

So, I'm a great COI fan (IMHO "single/unconfirmed opt-in" is almost
equal to "no opt-in"), but I'm not sure that expecting ESP to force
reconfirmation so to only send COI emails would really fix any issue.
I know you asked for a list and not a COI discussion, but I think/hope
the above explains why you probably won't find such a list.

Stefano

--
Stefano Bagnara
Apache James/jDKIM/jSPF