On 2020-07-15 16:09, Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
Dnia 15.07.2020 o godz. 12:59:39 Grant Taylor via mailop pisze:
On 7/12/20 11:28 AM, Paul Ebersman via mailop wrote:
But in these tense times, lots of PoC/non-white/non-cis get hate
emails, death threats, etc.

Death threats seem like the warrant more effort to stop than spam.

If someone would send death threats to me, I'd rather would like to receive
them, so that I can know whether I'm actually in danger and optionally
report to the police or whatever...

Which is what I was about to say too. In fact, by being really good at blocking harrassment/death threats, you become partly liable if something does happen. Because you hid the threat from the victim, and potentially increased their risk of harm from something they didn't know about.

I had to deal with some of these in a large corporate environment. Each time our "reaction" to the threatening (or sometimes just crackpot) emails was carefully considered between me (filter options) and Corporate Security before deployment. Eg:

- Do we reject/bounce, or silently ignore?  Usually the latter.
- Do we forward captures to CorpSec, not the user?
- Law enforcement?  Legal C&D?

Etc.

These also have to be carefully differentiated from some of the wide-spread stuff like the "I have a contract on you, pay me, and I won't kill you" extortion soan/scams. Those should just be nuked.

I would generally not recommend filtering on "threatening content" per-se, but on spam, however you usually do it - like DNSBLs or spamassassin or whatever... Then make it a point of user education to tell people what to do if they get threatening email that gets past the general spam filtering. Which may be LE, may be your own corporate, may be custom filtering, etc. This approach will generally tend to weed out the normal broadcast bullshit, and leave behind the stuff the victim/you really need to know about.