Thank you.  I have solved the trouble.  I run a infinitesimal hosting and development business with my brother.  We are working in Plesk.  We were not disabling mail services for domains we are hosting, but not hosting email.  I figured the problem was us when I had the same problem with the exactly the same error whether the domain email was on office365 or g.suite.  With email service enabled for that type of domain, the Plesk controlled system figured the email as internal and didn't try to send it anywhere, but tried to deliver locally to a non-existent mailbox and bounce the message just exactly as it should have.  email to g.suite addresses that were not hosted by us went right through. That was the aha moment. disabled mail services on domains where email was hosted elsewhere. Made that the default on a hosting template and we're good.

This was operator error and growth pains.