On 8/4/20 2:33 AM, mailop-requ...@mailop.org wrote:
> Re: [mailop] This is..Concerning: DatabaseUSA Wins Case
>       Against The Spamhaus Project

The astonishing thing about all this is that DatabaseUSA bothered to
dump thousands and thousands of dollars into lawyers to achieve a
completely null result.

Apparently, whatever law firm they hired did not appropriately advise
them that this was a completely useless endeavor and waste of resources,
or, alternatively, the client did not listen to this sage advice and
insisted on moving forward anyway.  In either case, yay for the
DatabaseUSA contribution to the US service economy!   No PPP required
for these lawyers!

I know that judges are not technical experts and this one probably just
wanted to get this off his docket as quickly as possible, but I would
have loved to be in the room watching if someone brought up the
databaseusa home page and he then asked "under what possible definition
of unsolicited bulk email does this company get excluded?"

Their lawyers were also quite clever in their wording of the complaint,
dropping the part about "unsolicited bulk email" and asserting that they
weren't phishing, 419 scamming, etc.  A nice omission which a defense
attorney would have jumped on but since there wasn't any.

Oh well.  I think that "concerning" is not the word.  I think that
"amusing" is the word.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494