* Tim Bray via mailop <t...@kooky.org>:

> On 30/09/2020 08:17, Patrick Ben Koetter via mailop wrote:
> > At the moment the SMTP server itself supports STARTTLS and DANE. We plan to
> > add MTA-STS when the feature becomes available.
> >

> Should it be using TLS for outbound connections?  I'm not seeing that?

The mailop.org SMTP server (Postfix) will use

* opportunistic DANE
  if the MX, assigned to receive messages for the recipients domain, offers DANE
* opportunistic TLS
  if the MX, assigned to receive messages for the recipients domain, offers
STARTTLS
* plaintext SMTP
  if the recipient domains MX does not offer STARTTLS

ATM we have no hard-wired TLS policies in place that e.g. would demand
mandatory TLS to a specific destination.

> (no problem if that is something you just haven't turned on yet. And thanks
> for sorting this all out)

>       by herm.doylem.co.uk with esmtps (Exim 4.92 #3 (Debian))
>       id 1kNWO9-0005Hf-1Y

The transmission type (here: esmtps) indicates how the transport took place.
For a full list of transmission types take a look at RFC 3848 "ESMTP and LMTP
Transmission Types Registration" <https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3848.txt>

p@rick

--
[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München