On 2020-12-17 11:12, Michael Peddemors via mailop wrote:
I don't know if they are giving up, finally realizing that generating spam for IoT devices isn't getting through, but it seems that we are at a 12 month low for that form of attack.

Don't get me wrong, still averaging 25% of all inbound traffic to SMTP ports coming from DUL networks with no PTR records, and about 25% from known spam sources (compromised servers mostly)

But in general, attempts from DUL networks has steeply declined.

This MAY be because finally more ISP's are blocking port 25 on egress from their dynamic segments, but in general Windows PC based bots and IoT bot spam is down.

However, compromised Cisco router spam, and other GPON device spam still quite active.  But seeing a lot more AUTH attacks instead..

Anyone else can back up these observations?

Our perspective is somewhat different.

Stuff we attribute specifically as IoT is down somewhat. We've never seen a notable connection between IoT and email spam, despite IoT seeming an ideal platform to spam from (aside from port 25 blocking). I think it's a different community with different motivations and goals.

The number of classical botnets (that generally don't send spam) is just as high as it always was.

More traditional email spambots of the "compromised PeeCee" variety are WAY DOWN from years ago. Gone are the days of a Rustock, Szribi, Kelihos etc. Cutwail is still about on a largeish number of IPs, but has generally moved away from the Pee-Cees emitting the spam directly, but instead through compromised intermediaries - eg: the periodic massive blasts of AUTH-forging. But the actual volumes effectively emitted is relatively low.

The one remaining PeeCee "spambot" of note is something we've been calling "gamut", but I've never really been sure what it is. This is what is responsible almost exclusively for bitcoin extortion and Russian pseudo-Canadian pharma, but has been involved in the past with malware distribution. It typically comes from a fairly small number of IPs per blast (1000-3000), with high volume per IP. But in the aggregate over periods of a month or so, runs about 100K IPs.

Much of what we see now is compromised *servers* (mostly webservers and the like), with stealrat, various CMS compromises etc.

Another major contributor is something that mostly comes from android phones, and the occasional web browser. This appears to be a common library with an embedded "feature" that appears easily abuseable (whether by vulnerability or deliberate inclusion) that's included in many downloadable apps, Seen mostly with small to medium sized businesses and home networks. Not providers per-se. I can say very little beyond that for a variety of reasons. The only thing I will say is that the only effective way of dealing with it is outbound port 25 blocking. Just finding the device responsible for it is QUITE hard in the environment it appears to prefer.