On 12/17/20 2:21 PM, John Levine via mailop wrote:
But now, in 2020, is there a point to secondary servers?

I believe you answered your own question. It's just that the nuances are different now than they were 10 / 20 / 30 years ago.

Mail servers are online all the time,

Are they?

Can you /guarantee/ that your mail servers are accessible between three (~9 hours a year) and four nines (~1 hour a year)?

What about when an oops happens and the server(s) have the wrong configuration. E.g. Gmail returning 500 errors b/c of an internal problem. Or updates. Or Backhoe Bob doing his best to prevent packets from reaching your server(s). Or. Or. Or.

and if they fail for a few minutes or hours, the client servers will queue and retry when they come back.

I prefer to have the email be queued on servers that I can control; be it how often the queue automatically flushes, or a manual flush. Or. Or. Or.

Secondary servers are a famous source of spam leaks, since they generally don't know the set of valid mailboxes and often don't keep their filtering in sync?

That is an operational problem. I think that backup MXs need to have full knowledge of valid and invalid recipients. I also think that the should have the same compliment of email hygiene that the primary mail servers do.

What purpose do they serve now?

I think you know the answer to this and you just don't like it.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die