> I don't think so. I'm primarily a datacenter operator and
> commercial-only ISP and my AUP says no spamming. As the proactive type
> that prefers to prevent spamming instead of ignoring it for profit, I do
> like to know if anyone is emitting spam from any of our IP space.
> Feedback loops based on our IP ranges help with that goal, and provide
> effective evidence of AUP violations.

> I can't do that with DKIM. Feedback loops are also faster than waiting
> for someone to email abuse@ after looking in whois, if anyone bothers to
> go that far. If my abuse@ is already in whois, then why should I not be
> allowed to request automated reporting of the same?

I think there is a subset of people that don't really understand how
widespread IP space is being shared.  That subset seems to believe that 1
IP address means 1 domain name and 1 individual.  But that's just simply
not the case.

1 IP address may be sending out mail for 500 or more domain names - each
that may have 10 to 20 email accounts.  And that means there's a lot of
mail being sent out from a single IP address that doesn't necessarily
relate to each other.  The majority of these email account owners and
domain name owners care nothing about DKIM, DMARC reports, or any feedback
loop reports.  The people that do care?  They're the ones that serve as
server administrators (i.e. have root access) to those servers.  That is
who these reports need to be aimed at.  It then becomes the server
administrator's responsibility to keep those 500 domain names or 10,000
email email accounts in line when it comes to spamming or abuse.

There also needs to be a distinction made between the "owner" of an IP
address and the "administrator" responsible for the server using that IP
address.  I don't own any of the IP addresses that are used to send out
mail from our servers, but I administer all the servers we use.  If spam is
sent from one of our servers - the IP address of one of our servers - it's
me you ultimately want to contact, not the owner of the IP address.  If you
contact the owner of the IP address - they don't have root access to the
server - they will have to filter that report down to me, for me to take
action. And whether or not if that happens or if that happens in a timely
manner is anybody's guess.

Now, it's entirely possible that I'm the one that has tunnel vision with
this... but this is how I see things.  Maybe there are a lot of folks that
host one domain name on one IP address.  Or maybe everyone on this list
owns the IP address space that they send out mail from.  I don't know.  But
I think it's at least worth an open-mind in looking at how IP address space
is used and dispersed amongst people that can actually take actionable
changes from that IP address space.

My advice would be to have a centralized database of IP addresses that
lists 1) a human contact email address (or probably a form to disguise the
actual email address) and 2) a feedback loop address (which again would be
disguised).  Force server administrators of these IP addresses to verify
these email addresses (or I suppose you could do a callback URL) once a
month to ensure that the information remains up to date.  Then when spam is
identified as being sent from an IP address it is sent to the FBL address
listed in this central database.

Back in the day, AOL had a great feedback loop system.  This system was
immensely helpful for us, because it allowed us to find spammers on our
servers very quickly.  But either that feedback loop system died off or AOL
diminished in use (I suspect the latter).  Microsoft is suppose to have the
JMRP that was supposed to be similar, but I never found it useful - I very,
very rarely ever got anything from those reports, yet our servers would get
blocked by Microsoft - and it was a hassle to sign up for (again the
distinction between OWNER of the IP address and ADMINISTRATOR of the server
using the IP address).  Google also allegedly has a feedback loop system -
but I've never, ever received anything in that system, I'm guessing maybe
we don't have the volume of mail to gmail to register for this?

The bottom line is that the IP address is the only thing that is common
throughout the whole email infrastructure when it comes to identifying
abuse.  Every email message received, every spam message received, was sent
to the recipient's server by another server with an IP address.  So that's
the structure that makes sense for identifying where abuse is coming from.