On 22 Mar 2021, at 16:06, Jim Popovitch via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

> Something I've never fully understood: Is a disabled account permanent
> or subject to reactivation upon some action?   This is for a mailinglist
> subscriber, so I'd prefer to not remove the subscriber if there's a
> chance the participant can re-activate their account.

Some of the consumer mailbox providers disable the ability of a mailbox to
accept mail if it’s not logged into for a certain length of time. However, if
the mailbox owner logs in and reclaims it mail will start flowing again.

Yahoo, in particular, has been sending out ‘if you don’t log in, we’re going to
disable your ability to receive mail.’ Yahoo accounts are associated with a lot
of other services (I have one I don’t use for mail but is associated with my
paid Flickr account, for instance) so the accounts do still exist and I can
always log back in and turn mail on again.

They can be reactivated if the subscriber logs in and re-activates the mail.
But the fact that it’s been deactivated means it’s very likely your subscriber
likely hasn’t logged in for 6 - 12 months. I would suggest you stop sending
mail to that account as repeatedly sending mail to an address that is dead is a
hit to your reputation.

laura

> ----------
> Mar 22 13:37:33 smtp1 postfix/smtp[3675]: 4F3wXp35xSz1fC9H: to=<
> xxxxxxx...@yahoo.com>, relay=mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[67.195.228.109]:25,
> delay=3.2, delays=0.03/1.6/0.73/0.89, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
> mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[67.195.228.109] said: 554 30 Sorry, your message
> to xxxxxxxxxx @yahoo.com cannot be delivered. This mailbox is disabled

Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741