* Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop:

> No RFC *obligates* any recipient to honor DMARC *at all*.

Obviously, so why the emphasis? RFCs have only ever been attempts to
establish a reasonable consensus, or as Captain Barbossa put it, "a RFC
is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules."

> You cannot treat "not applying policies at all" as anything bad.

Actually, I can do whatever I please with my mail servers, as can other
entities. For example, Google won't accept our mail unless we properly
set up DMARC. That's their prerogative, and it does not matter if I like
it or not (I actually do). I choose not to accept mail from certain
dialup connections.

However, the freedom of choice is beside the point I was trying to
make. I wonder if a sending party is worse off if (a) their DMARC policy
is ignored altogether or (b) the policy is not honored in its entirety,
including a sampling percentage. For me personally, (b) is worse because
it might cause mail sent from my servers to not reach the intended
recipients.

-Ralph