On Tue, 21 Sep 2021, Michael Peddemors wrote:

Use RATS-AUTH to block auth attacks, from known dedicated IP(s) ;)

I've tried this, so far it has blocked 7 of 4933 AUTH attempts since I began using it.

Block AUTH from Amazon/Gcloud/Azure by default

Would you include other clouds, like Alibaba, Oracle, OVH, Rackspace, etc., perhaps especially those that are "too easy" for spammers and miscreants to get a machine going on? I can understand this sentiment but be aware it might block your more advanced users, e.g., those hosting a VPN or mail archive there or a service that does.

but the MOST IMPORTANT THING!!

Stop allowing unencrypted AUTH.. eg port 110, 143, 25.

#didyouknow that by turning off unencrypted AUTH you can reduce compromised accounts by as much as 90%?

I've seen attempts try clear even though authentication isn't offered w/o TLS, but also explicit-TLS and implicit-TLS so yes some of them would be blocked and that's good, just don't anybody expect a silver bullet. Lately I've closed all but 25 which cannot AUTH -- they still, blindly, try -- and only open the other ports upon port knocking and locally which a VPN can reach.

/mark