Well no, this one is different.

It depends on whether the mail app uses OAUTH2 and on how recently this app was
registered on Google Cloud.

When such mail app is detected, Gmail will not automatically file messages
submitted via SMTP into the Sent folder, as it's done for decades.

This must be a deliberate change. Unfortunately as a side effect of this
change, messages to self are silently dropped.

Still hoping to get the attention of someone from Google, anyone out here?

--
Kostya Vasilyev
k...@fastmail.com