Hi Michael,

Il 28/12/2021 16:17, Michael Peddemors via mailop ha scritto:
The problem isn't 'technical', but rather political.  There are those out there that believe by including the originating IP Address, you are exposing PPI (Private Personal Information) by including the IP Address.

Thanks for raising the legal issue here, it's valid and I hadn't thought of it.

Possibly on install, it should ask the email operator for their position, and 'maybe' warning them they should indicate that occurs on their terms of service.  But of course, most operators don't indicate that for instance the customers real name might be exposed under certain circumstances.

Still, even if I'm going to have all legalities cleared and my terms of service updated... My conclusion is that today, there's no technical way to forward client IPs from roundcube to dovecot/postfix.

Suggest that you make a RoundCube enhancement with the packagers that the option be configured more easy on install.  The secondary issue, is to standardize how web mail would pass that information to the mail server, so you are not dealing with many different methods. And thirdly, in case of 'proxies' to the actual mailservers, how to pass that information through the proxy as well.

If the roundcube folks do include an option to enable this, I'll make sure to pass the word abut possible legal implications.

I agree with you on the standardised way of course, although my focus is on roundcube at the moment.

Nico