On 1/31/22 11:07 AM, Sebastian Nielsen via mailop wrote:
1: never, as the original email has already been sent to the recipient by the original server.

I disagree.

I /expressly/ want the copy of messages from the mailing list, /NOT/ the copy directly addressed to me.

Mailman (2.x) has an option to specify how I want it to behave in this regard. So I'm not the only person that wants this.

EXCEPTION: If the message was submitted to the listserver by another means - for example webform/unix call, or via an authenticated session (where sender is either authenticated by username/password or by a IP ACL) and the email messages comes directly from a MUA (like Thunderbird or Microsoft Outlook), then send it to the extra recipient, as you are in this case the first server in chain and have responsibility to deliver it to the extra recipient.

I think that's *highly* dependent on if the listserver is functioning as the MSA or not. Even then, I would expect the MSA to use port 587 or 465 for client communications. I suppose it is possible for the Mailing List Manager to provide it's own SMTP functionality and behave as the MSA -- on TCP port 25 to receive email from the world.

EXCEPTION2: If the recipient and the mailing list is in the same domain (for example firstname.lastn...@company.org and mailingl...@company.org ) or 2 domains for which the list server is both responsible for, then you also by default take responsibility for delivering the email to the second recipient (by default).

I feel like you're likely combining the MSA / MTA / MLM functions, things which I believe should be completely independent of each other.

2: I would say, convert it to a CC. Then you avoid being classified by spam because neither the list address nor the recipient of the email comes up as one of the mail's recipients, which usually is a sign of spam.

Most of the mailing lists that I've seen require the mailing list itself to be either a To: or CC: explicitly as an anti-spam / anti-abuse mechanism. Thus mostly negating this concern.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die