On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 06:38:24PM +0100, Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
> And in this particular case we are discussing, not only a VPS is involved,
> but also a 3rd party service that acts both as a MX for incoming mail and as
> an outgoing SMTP server that actually delivers mail to recipients. The OP
> even said that the VPS could be omitted, but the 3rd party service is
> essential for him. For me, that definitely doesn't qualify as self-hosting.

To be fair (to me), the 3rd party service is only new in the past 3
years. Prior to that, communication to/from the internet was a Kimsufi
(OVH) colo box.  Perhaps I was lucky in that my IP wasn't listed in any
blocklists.  I'd 'self-hosted' like that for over 20 years.

The VPS could be omitted.  Alternatively the 3rd party service could be
omitted if you can find yourself a decent IP that the world won't block
either via a VPS or VPN.

I wouldn't say the 3rd party serive is 'essential' - or maybe that was
the pun because it is 'Proofpoint Essentials' :)   As noted, it is a
relatively new addition to my setup - and I chose to do that more for
the email security aspects (I no longer care about running spamassassing
or clamav, etc).

PG