On 2022-03-01 at 11:00:14 UTC-0500 (Tue, 1 Mar 2022 10:00:14 -0600)
Chris Adams via mailop <chris.ad...@sparkpost.com>
is rumored to have said:

Is there anybody from EarthLink who can contact me off-list?
We are seeing emails sent to EarthLink recipients have the From header
domain overwritten with the CNAME the domain points to and would like to
discuss.

FWIW, that's a normal Sendmail behavior.

It is arguably correct, given a pedantically narrow concept of what CNAME records are supposed to be for. Since the CNAME overrides any other record with the same label, it SHOULD be possible to canonicalize domains in all circumstances.

(Yes, I am quite aware of the edge cases.)

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire