According to à ngel via mailop <mai...@16bits.net>:
>On 2022-03-10 at 15:28 -0500, John Levine via mailop wrote:
>> If you really want to stop mail loops, use a Delivered-To header like
>> qmail, Postfix, and Courier do:
>>
>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-duklev-deliveredto/
>
>You still need to stop at *some* hop-count. This approach stops
>delivery loops, but not all loops involve a delivery.

Oh, I completely agree.  My point is that Delivered-To catches most of
the loops, so the cost of a large received limit is low.

On my system, the SMTP daemon counts the Received headers with a
configurable limit that defaults to 100.  The main mail system does
the Delivered-To checks which break a loop on any duplicate.

In practice the latter always catches the loops and I don't ever recall
seeing anything fail the 100 received limit.

R's,
John
--
Regards,