On 3/30/2022 2:42 PM, Michael Peddemors via mailop wrote:
Since I am on a rant about transparency, Amazon spammers continue to increase.. and now there is NO trace headers at all.. makes it look like an OS generated (compromised server?) email.

I've had conversations with Amazon - some all the way back in 2015 - another conversation this past year or so - asking them to please consider putting more information in the header which would help to better identify (a) the unique sender/customer of Amazon who is doing the sending, and (b) in cases where they've outsourced their service to an ESP, having a means for that ESP to have an email header identifying Amazon's customer's customer.

In all cases, they essentially rolled their eyes at me - and in the most recently conversation - they basically said that this wasn't worth their time.

Some DNSBLs like invaluement - are moving towards alternative types of anti-spam data that surgically targets the "bad apple" customers of ESPs - thus trying to minimize the collateral damage of listing shared IPs and listing ESP redirect/tracking domains that so many ESP customers use, good and bad (which which then helps them keep their own domain out of the body of the message). But in the case of Amazon, they're making this task more difficult, for the reasons that Michael Peddemors mentioned.

Which brings up an interesting question - is it not UNFAIR for ESPs that are more transparent and who provide these headers - to get their spammers booted - while ESPs like Amazon get "off the hook" and "laugh all the way to the bank" as their spammy customers don't get listed as easily, and then continue to be paying customers? The answer is - absolutely - that's extremely unfair. The responsible ESPs shouldn't feel "punished" for being more transparent!

At invaluement - as we complete our work this next generation of anti-spam data that we're working on (have been for a few years - but this should be released before too long) - we're paying close attention to this truth - and are going to try hard to make sure we don't facilitate any such unfair inequities - and we're going to try to be /harder/ on the ESPs who refuse to be transparent, yet without such efforts causing any other types of false positives or collateral damage.

-- Rob McEwen, invaluement