Hello,

this is maybe off-topic but maybe not so match as the only symptom so far are some unexpected emails. I have two users receiving "verification code" emails to login into their Uber accounts. Both users report to not have initiated any activity that may explain receiving these emails. The emails look legitimate.

I would think these are login attempts done with a database of email addresses and password leaked from whatever website and I would move on. However, both email addresses were the messages have been received are unique to the the Uber accounts. They are easily guessable (a local part address extension is added to published email addresses) but it is unlikely that someone reusing password databases would go through the trouble of actually trying to guess the local part extension.

The only explanation I have is that either the user devices have been compromised somehow or that an Uber users database (possibly with only email addresses) has been hacked/leaked.

Has anyone seen something that can hint to the second possibility?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Dan