I Can't disclose full details but here goes an example ( with personal info
redacted ):

Mailserver relevant log line of the first mail delivery with SMTP auth
(customer clearly using gmail as a smtp client ):

[datetime redacted] 1ndwjl-0005ON-58 <= [redacted-from]@domain.dom H=
mail-oa1-f52.google.com [209.85.160.52]:42927 P=esmtpsa
X=TLS1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:128 CV=no
A=dovecot_plain:[redacted-from]@domain.dom S=20498654 id=[redacted]@
mail.gmail.com T="[redacted subject]" for [redacted-to]@domain.dom

And the relevant lines the recipient got when he retrieved the message with
pop3  from gmail:

Received-SPF: softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning
[redacted-from]@domain.dom does not designate 209.85.160.52 as permitted
sender) client-ip=209.85.160.52;

Both sender and recipient are on the same domain ( let's call it
"domain.dom" ) that is hosted externally to gmail but use gmail as a mail
client.

 If this isn't wrong ...

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 10:09 PM Noel Butler via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

> On 14/04/2022 01:02, Paulo Pinto via mailop wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> Why on earth is gmail checking the IP address of the message sender (ISP
> assigned home address, for instance) against the sender's domain SPF
> without the ability of checking if that original delivery was done using
> SMTP authentication ( hence voiding the need for that IP being part of the
> SPF record ) ?
>

> I know its early i morning and I;m only just now taking my first sip of
> coffee, but, err...  this is what SPF does, checks sebder is allowed to
> send as XYZ,   smtp authed users sender from mail server and its in senders
> domain, all fine there
>

> Moreover, why on earth is gmail doing a SPF check ( that should ONLY be
> done during the smtp conversation ) during a pop3 retrieval  ?!
>
> If there is anyone here from gmail ... fix that please.
>

> That however is not fine, it should already have done the spf check, are
> you certain it is doing it in pop transaction or just guessing?
>
> Pasting a short snippet of your evidence might help someone take notice.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
> Noel Butler
>
> This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged
> information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to
> copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate this
> message without the authors express written authority to do so.   If you
> are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete all
> copies of this message including attachments immediately. Confidentiality,
> copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of the
> mistaken delivery of this message.

Paulo Azevedo