While every attempt is made to deliver mail as quickly as possible, any
sufficiently large distributed system will occasionally have issues.

We monitor the delivery latency within our systems, and act when they go
bad.

At times, there have been deliberate choices made to the design which
allowed for extended queuing when we had datacenter outages, instead of
insuring writes hit multiple datacenters... for example.

It's also possible for individual mailboxes to be overloaded, due to the
store & forward nature of email, it's not always possible to push back at
smtp time, and so internal queuing occurs.

Historically, it was also possible for individual mailboxes to have issues
that could require fixing... there's still some issues due to locking of
the entire mailbox under some scenarios, though it seems unlikely to result
in an 8h delay.

Every once in a while there's also a message-of-death or other issue, where
something about an individual message makes our system unhappy or causes
extensive cpu usage.

And that's without adding in additional complexities that some companies
have for their email routing, which can add a very large number of hops or
even administrative quarantine.

All of this would be visible in the Received headers of the message...
though only the successful attempts, not the failed ones that resulted in
retries, we considered at one point how we could add that information as
well, but that never went anywhere.  For workspace customers, there is the
email log search which allows you to see where a message is and retry
attempts.  At one point I started a proposal for something simpler for
individual mailboxes, but it got complicated quickly and didn't make the
prioritization cutoff.

Folks definitely tend to think of email communications now being as fast as
instant messaging, and they dislike when there are delays and no indication
of such... the fact that we'll retry a message internally for up to 3-5d is
completely out of touch with what user expectations are... but bounces are
also terrible.  Outside of making sure that a high percentile of messages
are delivered in reasonable times, I'm not sure anyone has come up with
a better solution.

8h would be a fairly large statistical outlier, that's for sure.

Brandon