On Thu, 5 May 2022, Alessandro Vesely via mailop wrote:

On Fri 29/Apr/2022 18:24:04 +0200 Bernardo Reino wrote:
 On Fri, 29 Apr 2022, Tobias Fiebig via mailop wrote:

 This might be a bit of a theoretical attack thing, but looking over the
 bounces
 for my nightly outbound DMARC reports I actually started to wonder about
 this;
 (Mostly because I am getting scared by regularly sending DMARC reports to
 non
 -existing accounts on a major ESP ;-)).

 It's scary, and your scenario looks very real.

 I regularly get bounces from Google due to DMARC reports being sent to
 non-existant addresses handled by Google.

Sorry to be late...

Note that example.com should set rua=mailto:dm...@example.com; that is, they should receive reports at their own domain. If they setup a recipient to an external domain, the latter must acknowledge that setting.

I don't know if that is a requirement. But I have cases like e.g. with @discourse.org, where the rua is dmarc-repo...@discourse.org, so that would be "OK" as per your comment above.

However, the MX for that domain is aspmx.l.google.com et al. which is what causes the/a problem.

My last event was this very morning, with: