Hi Jarland,

Yes, we see this as well - since this morning Pacific Time. They are
snow-shoeing too, sending just one or two submissions per web form,
presumably to keep a low profile. Same pattern of recipients as you are
seeing.

I'm trying to track down the victim software, which seems to be a WordPress
plugin.

Regards,
Ken

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 4:15 PM Jarland Donnell via mailop <
mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

> Over the last week or so I've noticed an exceptional increase in
> outbound emails from my customers to invalid recipients. Obviously this
> is problematic but understandable. All of the customers in question run
> websites that send an email to confirm registration, and all of the
> recipients are properly formatted email addresses. They just don't
> exist, and they're increasing at an unusual rate. Others may have the
> same going on but may not yet be aware of the pattern. My hope is that
> by sharing the pattern others might begin to fight against it as well.
>
> Here is a look at some censored logs: https://clbin.com/Gxeoo
>
> Notice the trend being username + 4 digits, primarily at free email
> providers and regional ISPs. Examples:
>
> heidireynoldsplad2...@gmail.com
> susanpowersvgjfae2...@cox.net
> pabloharveyfhi6...@rediffmail.com
> florencenashhqjqj8...@orange.fr
> carlosfranklinlydy2...@comcast.net
>
> It's really off the charts, and it's impacting a wide variety of
> customers who have no relation to each other. The only similarity being
> that they send out website registration confirmations in all cases.
>
> Of course, my first theory is forum spam / blog comment spam. Even if
> they can't accomplish the spam, they have most likely built complete
> automation to handle this process of mass registrations for a wonderful
> "spray and pray" technique. Since the email accounts don't exist,
> they're most likely hoping that a confirmation isn't actually required
> to begin submitting content to the sites that they register on.
>
> Use this how you will <3
>
> Jarland

Ken Simpson

CEO, MailChannels
<https://www.mailchannels.com/?utm_source=Email%20Signature&utm_medium=Ken%20Simpson&utm_campaign=Website>

Facebook <http://bit.ly/2dnoP3K>  |  Twitter <http://bit.ly/2ehoWni>  |
LinkedIn <http://bit.ly/2dw87lU> |  Help Center
<https://mailchannels.zendesk.com/hc/en-us?utm_source=Email%20Signature&utm_medium=Ken%20Simpson&utm_campaign=Help%20Center>

Our latest case study video: watch here!
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psb41xDIL9k>