On Sun, 28 Aug 2022, 00:25 Dave Lugo via mailop, <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

> My fiance's FB account was hijacked by a bad actor today.   The bad actor
> changed the email address on the account, and despite multiple attempts to
> recover the account using SMS, the SMS texts don't arrive (dunno if
> her carrier verizon is having SMS issues or not)
>
> Can anyone from FB please, please help?   She did get the "your email
> address has changed" notice from facebook, so we know the bad actor's
> email address, but I don't think that's very helpful at the moment, at
> least with the resolution paths we have, which aren't reallly resolving
> things...
>
> I can be reached via email here, or text at 484-682-5201.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Chances are the SMS was the first thing changed to prevent you regaining
access that way. There is a specific process Facebook now offers to regain
account access, try it:

https://www.facebook.com/hacked

https://www.facebook.com/help/203305893040179

When you eventually regain access, enable TOTP 2FA (I recommend Authy with
the cloud backup feature enabled), instructions at
https://www.facebook.com/help/358336074294704 .

Also ensure their passwords are all unique, this sounds like a password
reuse hack. Also, does their cell number still make and receive calls and
texts, and have you checked with the carrier that there's no additional
lines on the plan? Occasionally it has been known for hackers to engineer a
SIM swap or second line on an account.

Best of luck...