Just a quick note, having discussed this with several of the ISPs impacted.

It appears that this is limited to the Calix A144 E/G models (we hope).

Hackers are both sending spam out... As well as performing auth attacks. The auth attacks make sense, since most ISP's are more tolerant of activities inside their own networks.

Of course, ISPs have been told to block port 25 on egress for almost 20 years, but some still do not do it. And of course, the spam attacks would not be too successful, many protections automatically stop it from hitting email servers. (From validation, to DUL range blocking)

MAIL FROM address: [jmqzav-<username>=<domain>@thegpgroup.net]
MAIL FROM address: [uuevoq-<username>=<domain>@4891hillvale.com]

Where username and domain are the RCPT TO address.
I think we all recognize the format of this threat actor and the tools they use.. and a lot of bad email addresses as recipients..

The AUTH attacks are a little more complicated, it 'could' be that they are simply pass through auth attacks from behind the same routers (Windows Auth BOt) that are coincidental, and there is some evidence to support that.

A reminder, if you are a Calix shop, looking at the egress logs will help you find some of these. And you will find the IP open to the public at port :8080

If anyone on this list has decided to 'crack' open or tcpdump the inbound/outbound traffic of one of those routers, love to have you share with the list what you found.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."