From: "Bill Cole via mailop" <mailop@mailop.org>
To: "Gellner, Oliver via mailop" <mailop@mailop.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2022 10:52:07 AM
Subject: Re: [mailop] [External] Re:  Try to understand *.onmicrosoft.com

On 2022-11-10 at 02:58:15 UTC-0500 (Thu, 10 Nov 2022 07:58:15 +0000)
Gellner, Oliver via mailop <oliver.gell...@dm.de>
is rumored to have said:

> On 2022-11-09 23:24, MRob via mailop wrote:
>> Does anyones on this list getting legitimate nonspam mail from
>> *@<foo>.onmicrosoft.com?
>
> Yes, in fact most of them are legitimate messages, so based on my
> experience using onmicrosoft.com is not a good spam indicator. The
> domain is used by senders who either do not bring their own domain to
> Microsoft or fail to set their own domain as the default sender
> address for some or all of their mailboxes or within some automated
> processes and scripts.
> For what it's worth we also receive emails from
> @microsoft.onmicrosoft.com.

Another datapoint: I do MS365 admin duty for multiple customers and *my*
accounts for doing so are all authenticated as
me@<customer>.onmicrosoft.com, but they have no mailboxes of their own
and no licenses for any sort of end-user apps.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire