For the last couple of decades, I've been running Exim, using
long-lived self-signed certificates for TLS, and since the last but
one upgrade a couple of years ago, these certificates haven't even
been for the right machine:)

Almost everybody seems happy to talk to me, including gmail and
microsoft, so I've never worried about it. Every day I get a few "TLS
fatal alert" messages in the log file, but either they're from
attackers, or from real sites (e.g. mailgun.net) that then
(presumably) fall back to unencrypted sessions, since mail is then
sent through.

However, yesterday I noticed a string of alerts from a bank that were
not followed by mail delivery.

So my question is, if it is certificates (rather than ciphers - my
cipher suites are all gnutls default, so should be current), what do I
need to do to get everybody to accept TLS ? Just make the certificate
match the machine name, or do I need to get letsencrypt certificates
for it? Do TLS clients follow CNAMEs to find the server hostname? That
is, do I need a certificate with SANs for every name that might be
used to contact the machine, or just for the name it presents at SMTP
session start?

Thanks for any advice!