CAN-SPAM, CASL and several other Anti-Spam/Digital Marketing laws require
that the recipient only need to supply their email addresses to
unsubscribe. It may also be a requirement of their ESP, send a note to the
abuse desk for 1 unsolicited emails, 2 possible violations of local or
relevant legislation.

This process sounds like a direct violation of these laws (IANAL).

~ MV