About 15 years ago they was sending NDR for each non existing user, including very old abandoned mailbox called "soft spamtrap", and also for something like "unsubscribe from this list" or "block this sender". I was managing a mailing platform and we was forcing unsubscribing for all permanent NDR, because...  it is the right thing to do (even if our customers was complaining for that).

After some month, this practice become a sort of "vademecum" to get into the inbox for every mailer (also bad players), so... even poor collected database and spammer was applying the same policy in order to "clean" databases. For what I observed, during years, Microsoft heavily limited the amount of NDR and JMRP feedback to avoid bad usage of that. As always, these straighten of rules bring bad news for the whole market, even correct players got worse reputation, starting to contain and not unsubscribing disabled mailbox, complainer and so on...

So, today we see NDRs not coming back and it may seem to be just a "non compliance" and "nonsense" behavior but there are years of abuse from bad players that bring them to these decision.

I personally dislike that, I think that other players acting bad practice shouldn't bring myself to do other bad practice to contrast it, but that's philosophy... they have tons of mailserver and users to preserve.