On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 10:44:47AM +0200, Jasper Spaans via mailop wrote:
> We're seeing quite some postfix PREGREET errors in incoming smtp traffic
> from hosts claiming to be emailage.com (by lexisnexis). Does anyone know
> whether this is just a dressed up list washing service, or would it be
> worthwhile for our customers if we start whitelisting them?

I'm still investigating, but my PRELIMINARY understanding is that this
is a poorly-thought-out "service" run by Lexis-Nexis.  If that understanding
is wrong, and five minutes from now it may turn out to be, then I apologize.

But: I believe it's trying to use SMTP callbacks to verify email addresses,
and that's abusive -- as well as pointless.  We went through this 20+ years
ago when Verizon foolishly deployed them as a putative anti-spam measure
even though they have no anti-spam value whatsoever.  Nor do they have
any anti-phish, anti-fraud, or anti-anything-else value.

Those of us [1] who analyzed them at the time pointed out the inherently
abusive nature of this as well as how it could readily be used to
conduct third-party attacks.  I haven't re-read those message threads
in a long time -- because I thought that we'd put enough stakes through
the heart of this terrible idea that it would never rise again -- but
perhaps that was wishful thinking.

---rsk

[1] Myself, the late Bruce Gingery, and if memory serves, Steven Champeon,
among others.