Jaroslaw Rafa wrote:
> I have an intuitive impression that this may be related to Gmail's "feature"
> which causes your messages that you send to a mailing list not arrive back
> in your mailbox (this behavior applies to any mailing list, either hosted on
> Google Groups or anywhere else). Maybe a faulty implementation of this
> "feature" (basically, a very wrong feature if you ask me, especially that
> you can't turn it off) causes the disappearance of messages you are talking
> about.

This feels like the Gmail feature as noted.  But I believe Google has
implemented it in a slightly different way from the impression I get
from the above.  Please pardon me if I give a somewhat different
description of what I think is happening.

Google's Gmail has one mail folder with all messages in it.  Including
sent messages.  It tags outgoing messages with "Sent".  Therefore the
message does already exist in the Gmail mail folder.  It existed there
immediately when the user sent it.  And it does not show up in the
Inbox view because the message is tagged Sent and not tagged Inbox.

Because the Message-Id exists in the user's mail folder already the
message is accepted and then discarded immediately as a duplicate of
the message that is already present.

The message sent is tagged "Sent" in the mail folder.  It does not get
tagged "Inbox" unless the user writes a special rule to tag outgoing
messages with an Inbox tag.  I have heard that some people do write a
rule to add an Inbox tag to outgoing messages.  (I am not a Gmail user
so doing this is left as an exercise for those interested.)  If one
looks at messages tagged as Sent then they will find their copy of the
message.  But one can only assume that it might have actually been
delivered to the recipients listed since the local copy didn't make
that trip.

Then for mailing list messages, which have a similar behavior, the
exact same thing happens.  But there are subtleties.  A Gmail user
sends a message to a mailing list and never gets a reply in their
mailbox tagged Inbox.  Because it is a duplicate of their Sent tagged
message.  The mailing list sent it to Google but Google discarded it
as a duplicate of the Sent tagged message.  But then someone else
makes a follow-up to that message to the mailing list.  That new
message follow-up arrives and is placed in the Gmail user's mail
folder and tagged "Inbox".

Now some subtlety.  Since the follow-up was In-Reply-To the previous
message it has the effect of pulling the *original outgoing* message
into that "Gmail conversation" too.  Conversations are grouped by
subject.  Since the new message is a reply to the Sent tagged message.
If there is a follow-up then suddenly the Gmail user sees their
outgoing message in their Inbox view making it appear as if their
messages only appear when someone follows up to it and are lost
otherwise.

This behavior is such that one either loves it or hates it.  Certainly
without understanding what's happening it makes using mailing lists
terribly confusing.  If you are a person who wants to de-duplicate
messages then you love it.  If you are a person like me who wants to
see the Received headers in each message to see the trip it took to
get there then you hate it since it loses information and makes
debugging problems quite difficult.

Pretty sure that is what is happening.  It fits the model.  I have
spent a bunch of time debugging this behavior for Gmail users trying
to use mailing lists as a mailing list admin and have deduced this
model from the observed behavior.  But of course who knows what evil
is actually happening?

Bob

Reference:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6588&topic=1668979
(now dead)

https://web.archive.org/web/20111127050813/http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6588&topic=1668979

    Messages sent to mailing lists don't show in my inbox When you send a
    message to any mailing list you subscribe to, Gmail automatically
    skips your inbox and archives the message to save you time and prevent
    clutter.  The message will appear in your inbox if someone responds to
    it or if there is an error delivering the message.  If you'd like to
    view your message, you can find it in Sent Mail or All Mail.